Current:Home > InvestTradeEdge Exchange:A suspect in the 1994 Rwanda genocide goes on trial in Paris after a decadeslong investigation -Blueprint Money Mastery
TradeEdge Exchange:A suspect in the 1994 Rwanda genocide goes on trial in Paris after a decadeslong investigation
Rekubit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 16:12:18
PARIS (AP) — A Rwandan doctor who has been living in France for decades goes on TradeEdge Exchangetrial Tuesday in Paris over his alleged role in the 1994 genocide in his home country.
Sosthene Munyemana, 68, faces charges of genocide, crimes against humanity and complicity in such crimes. He has denied wrongdoing. If convicted, he faces a life sentence.
The trial comes nearly three decades after the genocide in which more than 800,000 minority Tutsis and moderate Hutus who tried to protect them were killed between April and July 1994.
Munyemana arrived in September 1994 in France, where he has been living and working as a doctor until he recently retired.
He has been investigated for decades. Over 60 witnesses are expected to testify at his trial. Members of the Rwandan community in France first filed a complaint against Munyemana in 1995.
Munyemana was a 38-year-old gynecologist in the district of Burate at the time of the genocide. He is accused of co-signing in April 1994 “a motion of support for the interim government” that supervised the genocide and of participating in a local committee and meetings that organized roundups of Tutsi civilians.
He is also accused of detaining Tutsi civilians “without care, hygiene and food” in the office of the local administration that was “under his authority at the time,” and of relaying “instructions from the authorities to the local militia and residents leading to the roundup of the Tutsis,” among other things.
This is the sixth case related to the Rwandan genocide that is coming to court in Paris. The trial is scheduled to run until Dec. 19.
Many suspected perpetrators left Rwanda during and after the genocide, some settling in Europe. Some never faced justice. On Tuesday, the International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda said it had confirmed the death of Aloys Ndimbati, a fugitive indicted by the tribunal.
Ndimbati, the leader of a rural community at the time of the genocide, was accused of organizing and directing massacres of Tutsis. He faced seven counts of genocide, among other crimes. Ndimbati died by around the end of June 1997 in Rwanda, the prosecutor’s office said in a statement: “The exact circumstances of his death have not been determined owing to the confusion and absence of order at the time.”
“While the survivors and victims of Ndimbati’s crimes will not see him prosecuted and punished, this result may help bring some closure in the knowledge that Ndimbati is not at large and he is unable to cause further harm to the Rwandan people,” the statement said.
Only two fugitives indicted by the tribunal remain at large, it said.
In recent years, France has increased efforts to arrest and send to trial genocide suspects.
Last year, Laurent Bucyibaruta was sentenced by a Paris court to 20 years in prison for complicity to commit genocide and crimes against humanity, making him the highest-ranking Rwandan to be convicted in France on such charges. He appealed.
Earlier this year, United Nations judges declared an 88-year-old Rwandan genocide suspect, Félicien Kabuga, unfit to continue standing trial because he has dementia and said they would establish a procedure to hear evidence without the possibility of convicting him. Kabuga was arrested near Paris in May 2020 after years on the run.
The mass killings of Rwanda’s Tutsi population were ignited on April 6, 1994, when a plane carrying then-President Juvénal Habyarimana was shot down and crashed in Kigali, the capital, killing the leader who, like most Rwandans, was a Hutu. Tutsis were blamed for downing the plane, and although they denied it, bands of Hutu extremists began killing them, including children, with support from the army, police and militias.
veryGood! (957)
Related
- $73.5M beach replenishment project starts in January at Jersey Shore
- Raiders score huge win in Kansas City to keep Chiefs from clinching AFC West
- Taylor Swift Spends Christmas With Travis Kelce at NFL Game
- Morocoin Trading Exchange: What is Inscription in 2023? Why is it Popular?
- Bill Belichick's salary at North Carolina: School releases football coach's contract details
- Lakers give fans Kobe Bryant 'That's Mamba' shirts for Christmas game against Celtics
- Russian naval ship in Crimea damaged in airstrike by Ukrainian forces, Russian Defense Ministry says
- Actor Ryan O'Neal's cause of death revealed
- The FTC says 'gamified' online job scams by WhatsApp and text on the rise. What to know.
- Philadelphia Eagles nearly gift game to New York Giants, survive sloppy second half in win
Ranking
- Current, future North Carolina governor’s challenge of power
- Philadelphia Eagles nearly gift game to New York Giants, survive sloppy second half in win
- Unaccompanied 6-year-old boy put on wrong Spirit Airlines flight: Incorrectly boarded
- How Pioneer Woman Ree Drummond Keeps Her Marriage Hot—And It's Not What You Think
- South Korea's acting president moves to reassure allies, calm markets after Yoon impeachment
- Student loan payments restarted after a COVID pause. Why the economy is barely feeling it.
- Is it smart to hand over your email address and phone number for discounts?
- Morocoin Trading Exchange's Analysis of Bitcoin's Development Process
Recommendation
What to know about Tuesday’s US House primaries to replace Matt Gaetz and Mike Waltz
Virtual reality gives a boost to the 'lazy eye'
A family tragedy plays out in the ring in 'The Iron Claw'
'Big mistake': Packers CB Jaire Alexander crashes coin toss, nearly blows call vs. Panthers
Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
Judges temporarily block Tennessee law letting state pick 6 of 13 on local pro sports facility board
Octopus DNA reveals Antarctic ice sheet is closer to collapse than previously thought: Unstable house of cards
Aaron Carter's Team Speaks Out After Death of His Sister Bobbie Jean Carter